Thursday, March 1, 2007

Mobile, Alabama... We got here yesterday evening after a three day drive from Denver. We left about 9:00 Monday morning and drove all day to Memphis, TX. Then we got up early Tuesday morning and headed towards Louisiana. Out of the nine people on my team we only have five drivers and two vehicles so I had to drive four hours each day. The driving hasn't been that bad though. It's actually less boring to be behind the wheel. Plus the driver gets to control the music. Apparently, Mobile is routinely listed as one of the top 100 places to live in the U.S., so far it doesn't have my vote. When we got to our camp we thought we were supposed to be staying in bunk housing. We were assuming that meant cabins or maybe a bunkhouse. Basically our housing can best be described as expandable cardboard boxes. We are living in these little huts made of a sort of plastic/cardboard material. I hope they don't blow away. It makes the dorms in Denver look like the Hilton. Right now we've only got two people per structure but another team is coming on Sunday so we might have to do some switching around. My roommate's name is Alli. She is from a small town in Michigan. She just turned twenty. She has never been away from home before. We don't have a lot in common to put it mildly but I'm trying very hard to be nice to her. We were supposed to start work today. We had to be at our work site at 7am this morning. We met our crew leader and some of the other people we'll be working with. They all seem pretty cool and laid back. It was raining when we got there this morning so they sent us back to camp for the day. The weather has been pretty horrible all day. It's been raining most of the day and we've been having tornado warnings. Storms are kind of scary when your home is a cardboard box. Right now we are seeking shelter at the library. I'm starting to feel like I'm a little crazy for being here when I could be at home sleeping in my warm bed, eating good meals, hanging out with my friends, snuggling with my dog. Hopefully my attitude will improve when the weather gets better and we actually start working.